Rolling down the city streets, banging some fresh tunes and perhaps enjoying a little quality kush on a sunny day is never not a good time, but to complete the picture one needs an appropriately fly whip. Booth favorite Donnis, for one, is a fan of the classics – on his latest mixtape leak, the freestyle series alum hops into his Ford Mustang to ride in style. Backed by the appropriately street-ready, piano loop/percussion boardwork of Syience, the artist trades the emotionally-fraught meditations of his last feature for rhymes about the perennial topics of weed, whips, women and cash – but does so with plenty of laid-back wit, lacing the beat with punchlines that range from the allusive (“My Hustle Grand, you ain’t seen me out with T.I.P.?”) to the risqué (“N*ggas feel my 16s like a child molester.”). Think you’ll be banging this one till the wheels fall off? More quality tunes await on Donnis’ Karmaloop-presented Southern Lights LP, scheduled to hit the ‘net for free download April 12.
Written by richard on 04/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.