I know regular visitors to the Booth think they’ve seen every project idea under the sun brought out into the light, but I guarantee I have something new for even the most grizzled Booth vets. Donnis may be an ATL native but he began his musical journey in Japan, so it was only right that Onitsuka Tiger grabbed him to helm their U.S. to Japan collaborative EP Nippon Sounds. Lead single All I Need (Baby’s Star Jam Remix) finds the Southern Lights creator going in over a beat by DE DE MOUSE and Luke Walker that’s by turns triumphant horns, club ready and hazily ambient. It’s a combination that would overwhelm most emcees but Donnis rises above the sonic tide nicely, laying out his love for the finer things in life, pausing only to throw in the occasional Home Improvement reference along the way. Like chicken teriyaki and french fries, All I Need is obviously two great thing that go great together and is more than enough impetus for me to check out the Nippon Sounds EP when it drops soon. (Seriously, chicken teriyaki and fries are delicious.)
Written by Nathan S. on 07/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)