I know regular visitors to the Booth think they’ve seen every project idea under the sun brought out into the light, but I guarantee I have something new for even the most grizzled Booth vets. Donnis may be an ATL native but he began his musical journey in Japan, so it was only right that Onitsuka Tiger grabbed him to helm their U.S. to Japan collaborative EP Nippon Sounds. Lead single All I Need (Baby’s Star Jam Remix) finds the Southern Lights creator going in over a beat by DE DE MOUSE and Luke Walker that’s by turns triumphant horns, club ready and hazily ambient. It’s a combination that would overwhelm most emcees but Donnis rises above the sonic tide nicely, laying out his love for the finer things in life, pausing only to throw in the occasional Home Improvement reference along the way. Like chicken teriyaki and french fries, All I Need is obviously two great thing that go great together and is more than enough impetus for me to check out the Nippon Sounds EP when it drops soon. (Seriously, chicken teriyaki and fries are delicious.)
Listen to More: Donnis
Written by Nathan S. on 07/5/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.