I know regular visitors to the Booth think they’ve seen every project idea under the sun brought out into the light, but I guarantee I have something new for even the most grizzled Booth vets. Donnis may be an ATL native but he began his musical journey in Japan, so it was only right that Onitsuka Tiger grabbed him to helm their U.S. to Japan collaborative EP Nippon Sounds. Lead single All I Need (Baby’s Star Jam Remix) finds the Southern Lights creator going in over a beat by DE DE MOUSE and Luke Walker that’s by turns triumphant horns, club ready and hazily ambient. It’s a combination that would overwhelm most emcees but Donnis rises above the sonic tide nicely, laying out his love for the finer things in life, pausing only to throw in the occasional Home Improvement reference along the way. Like chicken teriyaki and french fries, All I Need is obviously two great thing that go great together and is more than enough impetus for me to check out the Nippon Sounds EP when it drops soon. (Seriously, chicken teriyaki and fries are delicious.)
Written by Nathan S. on 07/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Smoke n' Drive ft. Big Sean, Donnis & Jackie Chain" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.