As those who tuned in for the R&B vet’s first feature, the soulfully apologetic Bad Boy, already know, Donnell Jones isn’t just a skilled crooner; he’s also one hell of a smooth-talker. On his latest single, the Georgia native once again makes full use of his powers of persuasion, telling a hesitant female:”I know you’ve been hurt before, but you’ve never had a Love Like This.” Over his own lush instrumental, featuring steamy keyboard riffs, slow-jam percussion and even a dash of harp, Jones showcases more of the soft vocals that charmed readers back in December of 2009. Though the singer takes a seemingly counterproductive detour into confessional territory around verse two (“I tried to hit every woman that I came in contact with out on the road / but I got that out of my system…” may be honest, but it isn’t exactly confidence-inspiring), the finished product is plenty seductive enough to make up for a little over-sharing. But that’s just my take – what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging Jones’ latest effort, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on his Lyrics LP when it hits stores September 28.
Written by richard on 08/5/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)