As those who tuned in for the R&B vet’s first feature, the soulfully apologetic Bad Boy, already know, Donnell Jones isn’t just a skilled crooner; he’s also one hell of a smooth-talker. On his latest single, the Georgia native once again makes full use of his powers of persuasion, telling a hesitant female:”I know you’ve been hurt before, but you’ve never had a Love Like This.” Over his own lush instrumental, featuring steamy keyboard riffs, slow-jam percussion and even a dash of harp, Jones showcases more of the soft vocals that charmed readers back in December of 2009. Though the singer takes a seemingly counterproductive detour into confessional territory around verse two (“I tried to hit every woman that I came in contact with out on the road / but I got that out of my system…” may be honest, but it isn’t exactly confidence-inspiring), the finished product is plenty seductive enough to make up for a little over-sharing. But that’s just my take – what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging Jones’ latest effort, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on his Lyrics LP when it hits stores September 28.
Listen to More: Donell Jones
Written by richard on 08/5/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.