As those who tuned in for the R&B vet’s first feature, the soulfully apologetic Bad Boy, already know, Donnell Jones isn’t just a skilled crooner; he’s also one hell of a smooth-talker. On his latest single, the Georgia native once again makes full use of his powers of persuasion, telling a hesitant female:”I know you’ve been hurt before, but you’ve never had a Love Like This.” Over his own lush instrumental, featuring steamy keyboard riffs, slow-jam percussion and even a dash of harp, Jones showcases more of the soft vocals that charmed readers back in December of 2009. Though the singer takes a seemingly counterproductive detour into confessional territory around verse two (“I tried to hit every woman that I came in contact with out on the road / but I got that out of my system…” may be honest, but it isn’t exactly confidence-inspiring), the finished product is plenty seductive enough to make up for a little over-sharing. But that’s just my take – what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging Jones’ latest effort, you’ll undoubtedly find more to your liking on his Lyrics LP when it hits stores September 28.
Written by richard on 08/5/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.