Though many still subscribe to the notion that a man’s got to make the first move, Dondria is one woman who knows what she wants, and is willing to take the initiative to get it. On the second single off her long-delayed debut set, the So So Def singer gives ladies a lesson in assertiveness. Rather than waiting for a fella to say “Shawty Wus Up,” she approaches him: “Tell me what you like, boy, tell me what’s your name. I don’t need you to buy me a drink, / I got my own cash and I got my own crew, so tell me what you’re drinkin’ baby, I’ll buy it for you.” Joining the headliner over Jermaine Dupri and Ced Keyz’ pizzicato-string instrumental, Take It Back singer Johnta Austin plays the role of the man in question (who, as it turns out, shares Dondria’s interest). On the back end, homie-smashing femcee Diamond shows a similarly empowered attitude as she tests out her powers of seduction on another male clubgoer. A catchy track with a unique concept, Wus Up can be found on the singer’s Dondria vs. Phatfffat LP, set to (finally!) hit stores August 3.
Written by richard on 05/20/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.