Though many still subscribe to the notion that a man’s got to make the first move, Dondria is one woman who knows what she wants, and is willing to take the initiative to get it. On the second single off her long-delayed debut set, the So So Def singer gives ladies a lesson in assertiveness. Rather than waiting for a fella to say “Shawty Wus Up,” she approaches him: “Tell me what you like, boy, tell me what’s your name. I don’t need you to buy me a drink, / I got my own cash and I got my own crew, so tell me what you’re drinkin’ baby, I’ll buy it for you.” Joining the headliner over Jermaine Dupri and Ced Keyz’ pizzicato-string instrumental, Take It Back singer Johnta Austin plays the role of the man in question (who, as it turns out, shares Dondria’s interest). On the back end, homie-smashing femcee Diamond shows a similarly empowered attitude as she tests out her powers of seduction on another male clubgoer. A catchy track with a unique concept, Wus Up can be found on the singer’s Dondria vs. Phatfffat LP, set to (finally!) hit stores August 3.
Written by richard on 05/20/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.