Though many still subscribe to the notion that a man’s got to make the first move, Dondria is one woman who knows what she wants, and is willing to take the initiative to get it. On the second single off her long-delayed debut set, the So So Def singer gives ladies a lesson in assertiveness. Rather than waiting for a fella to say “Shawty Wus Up,” she approaches him: “Tell me what you like, boy, tell me what’s your name. I don’t need you to buy me a drink, / I got my own cash and I got my own crew, so tell me what you’re drinkin’ baby, I’ll buy it for you.” Joining the headliner over Jermaine Dupri and Ced Keyz’ pizzicato-string instrumental, Take It Back singer Johnta Austin plays the role of the man in question (who, as it turns out, shares Dondria’s interest). On the back end, homie-smashing femcee Diamond shows a similarly empowered attitude as she tests out her powers of seduction on another male clubgoer. A catchy track with a unique concept, Wus Up can be found on the singer’s Dondria vs. Phatfffat LP, set to (finally!) hit stores August 3.
Written by richard on 05/20/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.