With his highly-anticipated Gangsta Grillz tape slated for release during NBA All-Star Weekend, it’s only right that Don Trip dedicate a record to a favorite baller. On the latest single off the project, the Memphis emcee takes inspiration from Allen Iverson, using the 76ers point/shooting guard and 11-time NBA All-Star’s various career controversies as a springboard for rhymes about the pitfalls of life in the spotlight. Over Cool & Dre‘s suitably intense beat, a synth-string arrangement incorporating snippets from various Iverson interviews, Trip illuminates the stress of life in the public eye, reminding those who would be tempted to throw stones at superstars who stumble that there are always missteps along the road to greatness: “Show me a man who’s never suffered a scar, and I’ll show you a man who’s never given his all.” Fans can find this insightful cut and much more on Guerilla, set to drop in late February. In the meantime, Booth readers should be sure to peep Don Trip’s exclusive “In the Mix” interview.
Written by richard on 01/31/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.