With his highly-anticipated Gangsta Grillz tape slated for release during NBA All-Star Weekend, it’s only right that Don Trip dedicate a record to a favorite baller. On the latest single off the project, the Memphis emcee takes inspiration from Allen Iverson, using the 76ers point/shooting guard and 11-time NBA All-Star’s various career controversies as a springboard for rhymes about the pitfalls of life in the spotlight. Over Cool & Dre‘s suitably intense beat, a synth-string arrangement incorporating snippets from various Iverson interviews, Trip illuminates the stress of life in the public eye, reminding those who would be tempted to throw stones at superstars who stumble that there are always missteps along the road to greatness: “Show me a man who’s never suffered a scar, and I’ll show you a man who’s never given his all.” Fans can find this insightful cut and much more on Guerilla, set to drop in late February. In the meantime, Booth readers should be sure to peep Don Trip’s exclusive “In the Mix” interview.
Listen to More: Don Trip Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.