With his highly-anticipated Gangsta Grillz tape slated for release during NBA All-Star Weekend, it’s only right that Don Trip dedicate a record to a favorite baller. On the latest single off the project, the Memphis emcee takes inspiration from Allen Iverson, using the 76ers point/shooting guard and 11-time NBA All-Star’s various career controversies as a springboard for rhymes about the pitfalls of life in the spotlight. Over Cool & Dre‘s suitably intense beat, a synth-string arrangement incorporating snippets from various Iverson interviews, Trip illuminates the stress of life in the public eye, reminding those who would be tempted to throw stones at superstars who stumble that there are always missteps along the road to greatness: “Show me a man who’s never suffered a scar, and I’ll show you a man who’s never given his all.” Fans can find this insightful cut and much more on Guerilla, set to drop in late February. In the meantime, Booth readers should be sure to peep Don Trip’s exclusive “In the Mix” interview.
Written by richard on 01/31/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.