Although Dom Kennedy has given us plenty of dope music for the low low price of free 99, it’s time we pay him back as he releases his latest album From the Westside With Love II. Combining his west coast flow with the likes of Asher Roth and The Cool Kids, Kennedy’s new joint New Jeeps is a definite rider. Thanks to the typically minimal production of Chuck English, we get a beat that consists of a heavy bass and snare with a synthesizer that loops for two simple chords. (This isn’t an over the top Lex Luger beat.) But when it comes to Dom, his work on the mic suits the musical backdrop well and helps listeners to focus on his lyricism and flow. Fellow Cool Kid Sir Michael Rocks also throws in a sweet 16, as does Asher Roth, who shows why he is STILL one of the most slept on emcees out there. (I Love College really gave us the wrong first impression.) Although I don’t know how the rest of the album rides yet (its on my to-do list), if it bumps anything like New Jeeps then maybe it’s time to buy a new whip and a digital copy of Dom’s new summer release.
Written by JRTheWriter on 06/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hard Work (Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.