Tired of watching his long-awaited debut album, most recently titled A Dolla and A Dream, collect dust on the label shelves, Dolla decided it was time to part ways with Jive Records. Like so many other victims of label politics (see the Clipse, Joe Budden, Stat Quo), the Atlanta native may find that these issues motivate him to tackle deeper lyrical themes. On Georgia Nights, Dolla addresses his life struggles, particularly the string of early deaths in his family, and ultimately arrives at the conclusion that he must simply keep moving in spite of the pain. Producer Ear Hustla provides a fittingly melancholy backdrop, complete with a sample of blues standard Rainy Night in Georgia (popularized by Brook Benton and later covered by the likes of Ray Charles and Hank Williams, Jr.). Though Dolla’s label team expects the album to drop this fall, don’t be surprised if he stays in the underground for a while, joining a class of MCs skilled at building their raindrops into water fountains.
Listen to More: Dolla
Written by Burmy on 05/12/09
The Gang Ent./Konvict Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Is That ft. Akon & T-Pain" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.