“Could it be? Another Booth feature sampled from Suzanne Vega’s The Diner?” Shockingly enough, no – on the latest track from Sunset Strip emcee Doey Rock, there’s nary a “Da da da-da” to be heard. Instead, Doey’s Diner finds the Los Angeles native drawing inspiration from an even longer-standing hip-hop tradition: food-themed tough-talk. Backed by beatsmith Nicatyne‘s appropriately spooky choral-synth boardwork, the artist invites his fellow emcees to pull up a chair at his eating establishment. What his patrons don’t know is that they’re today’s special; as he explains on the chorus, “I eat these beats for breakfast and then these rap n*ggas for lunch / Meat cleavin’, and for seasoning I lemon-pepper them up.” You know, maybe I’ll stick with a salad… or a nice glass of ice water. As hesitant as I’d be to let Doey loose in my kitchen after hearing this joint, I can say that it’s whet my appetite for fresh tunes. If you, too, are craving seconds, grab a copy of the emcee’s Mind Candy Re-Wrapped EP, available now.
Listen to More: Kahali Oden
Written by richard on 07/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Bring Back Double ft. E-40" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.