When you have a song called Champion you can expect a dramatic hook, some heavy horns and a lot of boasting… and with DJ Suss.One that’s exactly what you get. His new single opens with an orchestral sound courtesy of producer Reefa, while hook singer Junior Reid‘s vocals echo the song’s title. The first emcee to throw in a 16 is fellow New York native Jadakiss, who always sounds good over dramatic instrumentals and has no problem coming up with one-liners to reference his championship ways. Kiss is followed by Llyod Banks, who follows the same formula with a 16 that if nothing else keeps the song’s theme moving - though, I can’t say the exact same thing for French Montana. And just for good measure, Suss.One gives listeners a swaggering monologue from boxing champ Floyd Mayweather. Even with all that, while I believe the production and the hook is perfect for a future NBA playoff commercial (if the lockout ever ends), Suss will have to supply us a touch more heat before I can truly crown him a champion. For all we know, though, he’s already got that heat lined-up on his currently unscheduled new album, The Feature Presentation.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who Shot Ya 2K ft. Red Cafe, Uncle Murda & Maino" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.