Popularized in cuts by T-Wayne and DJ Drama, “Turn Down for What” was one of last year’s most popular hip-hop catchphrases—and it’s gonna be even bigger in 2014, if Lil Jon and DJ Snake have anything to say about it. This joint promotional single is a quirky, minimalist dancefloor-scorcher in the tradition of Major Lazer. Syncopated snares and clattering hi-hats collide with chopped and tweaked vocal samples as Jonathan Smith repeats the record’s only lyric—which also happens to be the title. DANIELS‘s newly-released visuals tell the increasingly bizarre story of a dude who can’t stop pelvic-thrusting. No, really. Originally released via Columbia in December, Turn Down for What is available now for purchase on iTunes.
Written by richard on 03/13/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Turn Down for What (Remix)" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.