It might seem like a contradiction in terms, but there is no better way to describe DJ Skizz‘s latest feature than to write that it’s Light Years ahead of those trying to recapture the magic of days gone by. Though he doesn’t rap, Skizz says plenty with his perfectly constructed, no-nonsense beat. Blending a soft, orchestral sound with an ominous, street-certified percussion rhythm, Skizz cooks up an instrumental that will make fans of grimy ‘90s hip-hop shed a tear. Taking the record’s rustic, enigmatic vibe to the next level, emcees Roc Marciano, A.G., O.C. and Godfather Pt. 3 all hop on the mic to deliver similarly hostile, grimy bars; good luck picking a favorite verse. Light Years is slated to appear on on Skizz’s forthcoming album, B.Q.E. (Brooklyn-Queens Experience), due out next month via Soulspazm Records.
Written by Lucas G. on 08/12/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Triboro Thoro" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.