DJ Sidereal, the Twin Cities-based beatsmith who brought us reader-acclaimed singles All I Need Is Sunshine and As We Proceed, is back to turn his winning streak into a hat trick with new promo cut Music in My Soul. Here, the headliner’s meditative bell loops and head-noddable percussion set the stage for a critical examination of the industry. In reflective verses, Minneapolis natives D. Glove and Finding Novyon lament the lack of artistry and heart in contemporary hip-hop. As the former puts it in his strongly-worded opening 16: “It’s time to stop the nonsense / Dudes makin’ music with investments of like non-cents / Into software and microphones, they don’t write no more / All it is is tough-talk and they don’t even fight no more.” Agree with their assessment of the game? Debate away—and keep it locked for more fresh cuts from Sidereal and his talented cast of connects.
Written by richard on 10/15/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Need Is Sunshine" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.