As those who have already been traveling with us know, the road to our Event 20/20 album has been paved with dopeness from the likes of Phonte, Exile and Gold Chain Military. The next brick in that road is being paved today with the premiere of Live Ones, an appropriately live cut built on classic hip-hop foundations. Beat Junkies turntabilist and producer DJ Rhettmatic spearheads the effort, layering live scratches over a boom-bap based percussion line. The lyrical work comes courtesy of Detroit mic rocker Frank Nitt and Cali representer MED, who take turns laying down all the ways they plan on resuscitating a rap game that too often feels like it’s being run by zombies. As Henry Frankenstein would put it, if he were a DJBooth commenter, “It’s alive, it’s alive, it’s alive, IT’S ALIVE!” For info on the newly-released 20/20 BAS studio monitors, check out Event Electronics’ official site -and keep it locked to DJBooth.net for further entries in the series throughout October and November.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/10/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.