Can you feel summer creeping up on you? Over here in California, it’s finally starting to heat up, which makes for better times, better food, and better music. Under these conditions, finding the legendary DJ Quik prepping his impending album release, new song Boogie ‘Til You Conk Out could not be released at a better time. The feel good cut is laced by Quik with relaxing bass grooves and rhythmic drum kicks that basically force you to roll down your car windows. And while Quik spits a verse worth “three-hundred and twenty-one million dollars a minute”, it’s the feature of west coast guru Ice Cube that makes this song near-perfect. I’m not sure if there’s a quotable line Cube lays down, but he’s the equivalent of your favorite uncle at the afternoon barbecue here; just his presence greatly contributes to the overall groove. So while you two-step in your computer chair, be sure to mark April 20 on your calendar, when Quik’s new The Book of David album drops. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a Laker game to commiserate over.
Written by Jon Garcia on 04/17/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Luv of My Life" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)