So here’s how it goes. Everyone who saw the words “DJ Premier”, “KRS-ONE” and “Grand Puba” in the headline and knocked over their grandma to press play – you and I are friends. Everyone else? I’m watching y’all with a wary eye. After a few weeks of radio rip foolery, the aforementioned trifecta’s single, 5%, has finally emerged in high-quality form, and the result’s as dope as we had hoped. Primo sets the stage with his trademark balance of knocking drums and soaring strings (does he ever fail?), setting up KRS perfectly for an intelligently vicious flow and hook that the world would do well to listen to. Add in a guest verse from Brand Nubian vet Grand Puba, whose nasal, “he just said what?” flow will have my fellow ‘80s babies thinking of the good ol’ days, and you’ve got a track overflowing with old school integrity yet is thankfully devoid of old school nostalgia. 5% is only the tip of the iceberg – the rest can be found on Premier’s new compilation album, Year Round Record: Get Used to Us, available now.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/8/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come Back to Collect" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.