On Kiss the Ring inclusion So Suicidal, featured back in late August, Mavado admitted that, while he’s proud to call himself a “gangster for life,” that title often feels less like a laurel wreath than a noose just waiting to tighten around his neck. Now, DJ Khaled‘s enlisted a pair of rhymesayers who share the dancehall heavyweight’s anxieties for the record’s official remix. First to rhyme over Boi-1da‘s baleful yet bumping synth grooves, Bad Boy/Interscope buzzmaker French Montana delivers an opener that left me unsure whether to laugh or cry (Seriously, how are you supposed to react to the line, “I see my dreams fade like Fat Joe’s weight.”?), and We the Best rhymesayer Ace Hood laces the middle with some characteristically aggressive, high-rolling block talk. Has Khaled outdone himself with this version of the cut? The decision, as always, rests with Booth readers. Either way, fans can still cop the original version on Khaled’s sixth studio album, available in stores and online as of August 21.
Written by richard on 10/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)