On Kiss the Ring inclusion So Suicidal, featured back in late August, Mavado admitted that, while he’s proud to call himself a “gangster for life,” that title often feels less like a laurel wreath than a noose just waiting to tighten around his neck. Now, DJ Khaled‘s enlisted a pair of rhymesayers who share the dancehall heavyweight’s anxieties for the record’s official remix. First to rhyme over Boi-1da‘s baleful yet bumping synth grooves, Bad Boy/Interscope buzzmaker French Montana delivers an opener that left me unsure whether to laugh or cry (Seriously, how are you supposed to react to the line, “I see my dreams fade like Fat Joe’s weight.”?), and We the Best rhymesayer Ace Hood laces the middle with some characteristically aggressive, high-rolling block talk. Has Khaled outdone himself with this version of the cut? The decision, as always, rests with Booth readers. Either way, fans can still cop the original version on Khaled’s sixth studio album, available in stores and online as of August 21.
Written by richard on 10/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.