On Kiss the Ring inclusion So Suicidal, featured back in late August, Mavado admitted that, while he’s proud to call himself a “gangster for life,” that title often feels less like a laurel wreath than a noose just waiting to tighten around his neck. Now, DJ Khaled‘s enlisted a pair of rhymesayers who share the dancehall heavyweight’s anxieties for the record’s official remix. First to rhyme over Boi-1da‘s baleful yet bumping synth grooves, Bad Boy/Interscope buzzmaker French Montana delivers an opener that left me unsure whether to laugh or cry (Seriously, how are you supposed to react to the line, “I see my dreams fade like Fat Joe’s weight.”?), and We the Best rhymesayer Ace Hood laces the middle with some characteristically aggressive, high-rolling block talk. Has Khaled outdone himself with this version of the cut? The decision, as always, rests with Booth readers. Either way, fans can still cop the original version on Khaled’s sixth studio album, available in stores and online as of August 21.
Written by richard on 10/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem ft. Beanie Sigel & Jadakiss" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)