I’ll be honest, “What makes DJ Khaled tick?” isn’t a question that crossed my mind before today. I assumed dude simply enjoyed shouting “We the Best!” over 808 beats and getting paid for it—who wouldn’t? As it turns out, however, his motivations run a little deeper than that. On the latest single off Kiss the Ring, he recruits a characteristically star-studded cast of collaborators to remind us that this street music isn’t just good business; it’s their gift to the block. I Did It For My Dawgz finds The Beat Bully layering majestic brass over the obligatory trunk-rattling percussion as Rick Ross, Meek Mill, French Montana and Ace Hood highlight the altruistic side of their hustle. Feeling Khaled’s latest noise citation in the making? There’s plenty more where Dawgz came from on his sixth studio album, released August 21, and available now in stores and online.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem ft. Beanie Sigel & Jadakiss" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.