I’ll be honest, “What makes DJ Khaled tick?” isn’t a question that crossed my mind before today. I assumed dude simply enjoyed shouting “We the Best!” over 808 beats and getting paid for it—who wouldn’t? As it turns out, however, his motivations run a little deeper than that. On the latest single off Kiss the Ring, he recruits a characteristically star-studded cast of collaborators to remind us that this street music isn’t just good business; it’s their gift to the block. I Did It For My Dawgz finds The Beat Bully layering majestic brass over the obligatory trunk-rattling percussion as Rick Ross, Meek Mill, French Montana and Ace Hood highlight the altruistic side of their hustle. Feeling Khaled’s latest noise citation in the making? There’s plenty more where Dawgz came from on his sixth studio album, released August 21, and available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 10/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)