Best known as a creator (and shouter-over) of raucous, star-studded street bangers, DJ Khaled recently branched out with I’m on One—a joint with a relatively understated vibe and, shockingly, minimal yelling. Turns out that less-hoarse endeavor wasn’t a fluke occurrence—like its predecessor, new single It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over confines the ad-libs to the first couple bars in the interest of cultivating a smoother vibe. Infinity handles production duties, mixing mid-tempo percussion, sizzling synths with delicate piano chords into a chill yet driving backdrop for the rhymes of guest emcees Fabolous and Jadakiss. The former teaches us a truncated spelling lesson on the opener (he only makes it through “F-A-B.”) while the latter closes proceedings on a gritty yet celebratory note: “Rockin’ on till the block is gone / The .38 is snub-nosed but the chopper’s long.” R&B giant Mary J. Blige completes the lineup, taking center stage on the middle 16 as well as contributing a monster hook. Digging it? There’s plenty more where this came from on Khaled’s fifth LP, We the Best Forever, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers July 19.
Written by richard on 06/28/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem ft. Beanie Sigel & Jadakiss" (2006)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.