Best known as a creator (and shouter-over) of raucous, star-studded street bangers, DJ Khaled recently branched out with I’m on One—a joint with a relatively understated vibe and, shockingly, minimal yelling. Turns out that less-hoarse endeavor wasn’t a fluke occurrence—like its predecessor, new single It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over confines the ad-libs to the first couple bars in the interest of cultivating a smoother vibe. Infinity handles production duties, mixing mid-tempo percussion, sizzling synths with delicate piano chords into a chill yet driving backdrop for the rhymes of guest emcees Fabolous and Jadakiss. The former teaches us a truncated spelling lesson on the opener (he only makes it through “F-A-B.”) while the latter closes proceedings on a gritty yet celebratory note: “Rockin’ on till the block is gone / The .38 is snub-nosed but the chopper’s long.” R&B giant Mary J. Blige completes the lineup, taking center stage on the middle 16 as well as contributing a monster hook. Digging it? There’s plenty more where this came from on Khaled’s fifth LP, We the Best Forever, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers July 19.
Written by richard on 06/28/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem ft. Beanie Sigel & Jadakiss" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)