Best known as a creator (and shouter-over) of raucous, star-studded street bangers, DJ Khaled recently branched out with I’m on One—a joint with a relatively understated vibe and, shockingly, minimal yelling. Turns out that less-hoarse endeavor wasn’t a fluke occurrence—like its predecessor, new single It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over confines the ad-libs to the first couple bars in the interest of cultivating a smoother vibe. Infinity handles production duties, mixing mid-tempo percussion, sizzling synths with delicate piano chords into a chill yet driving backdrop for the rhymes of guest emcees Fabolous and Jadakiss. The former teaches us a truncated spelling lesson on the opener (he only makes it through “F-A-B.”) while the latter closes proceedings on a gritty yet celebratory note: “Rockin’ on till the block is gone / The .38 is snub-nosed but the chopper’s long.” R&B giant Mary J. Blige completes the lineup, taking center stage on the middle 16 as well as contributing a monster hook. Digging it? There’s plenty more where this came from on Khaled’s fifth LP, We the Best Forever, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers July 19.
Written by richard on 06/28/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"It's A Problem ft. Beanie Sigel & Jadakiss" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.