Although he’s been in the game a bit longer, DJ Kay Slay is now applying the “DJ Khaled” method to his new album More Than Just a DJ. Khaled is known for making big-budget posse cuts happen between major artists like Lil Wayne, T.I. and more. We can now say that Kay Slay is Khaled’s underground equivalent, as the Drama King recruits a few hip hop legends to join him on his new track See the Light. Laying the foundation for the track is producer Green Lantern, who laces the bouncy East Coast beat with a dope scratch hook to great effect. The verses are provided by golden-era legends AZ, Raekwon, and Ghostface Killah, with all emcees complementing the record’s true hip-hop feel. While AZ spits a disappointingly lukewarm opening verse, the Chef spices things up with a habañero hot middle verse and Ghost (who is also sampled on the record) drops an energetic 16 to close out the track like Mariano in the 9th. Will Kay Slay’s version of the big-name posse cut add up to rave reviews in the Booth? That’s up to you to decide.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 01/25/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Last Lyricists ft. Big Lou, Papoose & Busta Rhymes " (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.