Although he’s been in the game a bit longer, DJ Kay Slay is now applying the “DJ Khaled” method to his new album More Than Just a DJ. Khaled is known for making big-budget posse cuts happen between major artists like Lil Wayne, T.I. and more. We can now say that Kay Slay is Khaled’s underground equivalent, as the Drama King recruits a few hip hop legends to join him on his new track See the Light. Laying the foundation for the track is producer Green Lantern, who laces the bouncy East Coast beat with a dope scratch hook to great effect. The verses are provided by golden-era legends AZ, Raekwon, and Ghostface Killah, with all emcees complementing the record’s true hip-hop feel. While AZ spits a disappointingly lukewarm opening verse, the Chef spices things up with a habañero hot middle verse and Ghost (who is also sampled on the record) drops an energetic 16 to close out the track like Mariano in the 9th. Will Kay Slay’s version of the big-name posse cut add up to rave reviews in the Booth? That’s up to you to decide.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 01/25/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Last Lyricists ft. Big Lou, Papoose & Busta Rhymes " (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)