Although he’s been in the game a bit longer, DJ Kay Slay is now applying the “DJ Khaled” method to his new album More Than Just a DJ. Khaled is known for making big-budget posse cuts happen between major artists like Lil Wayne, T.I. and more. We can now say that Kay Slay is Khaled’s underground equivalent, as the Drama King recruits a few hip hop legends to join him on his new track See the Light. Laying the foundation for the track is producer Green Lantern, who laces the bouncy East Coast beat with a dope scratch hook to great effect. The verses are provided by golden-era legends AZ, Raekwon, and Ghostface Killah, with all emcees complementing the record’s true hip-hop feel. While AZ spits a disappointingly lukewarm opening verse, the Chef spices things up with a habañero hot middle verse and Ghost (who is also sampled on the record) drops an energetic 16 to close out the track like Mariano in the 9th. Will Kay Slay’s version of the big-name posse cut add up to rave reviews in the Booth? That’s up to you to decide.
Written by Quentin Cuff on 01/25/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Last Lyricists ft. Big Lou, Papoose & Busta Rhymes " (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.