Beware, Booth readers: you’re approaching the scene of a homicide. What—you want to see for yourself? That’s pretty damn sick, but what the hell. Just slip under the police tape and have a look. On Microphone Murder, a newly-released promo single from DJ Kay Slay, the Brooklyn mainstay brings together four Philadelphia rhymesayers (three of them former Roc signees) to reduce some high-end recording equipment to bubbling slag. Juco Brix keeps it simple and grimy on the production tip, layering sampled soul vocals over a jagged guitar-piano loop as erstwhile colleagues Freeway, Young Chris and Beanie Sigel rock the mic alongside Tray Lee, a newer face from the city of Brotherly Love. Who dropped the standout verse? While I have to hand it to the Broad Street Bully for his imaginative trash talk on the back (“You fleet lil’ rappers are annoying like minibikes…”), the final decision, as always, lies with you. Whatever your opinion, you can keep your eyes glued to the Booth for further ensemble bangers from Kay Slay, as well as the latest solo material from all involved.
Written by richard on 06/25/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Last Lyricists ft. Big Lou, Papoose & Busta Rhymes " (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.