When a well-known mixtape DJ compiles a full-length album, strong lyrical firepower tends to accompany it, and when that DJ is Kay Slay, you can expect nothing less than the best. On 6 Million Ways to Die, an inclusion on his forthcoming studio album, three highly energized emcees bring the heat over a sample from the Snoop Dogg classic, Serial Killa; Bun B emphasizes how he’s ready for anything, while Papoose reminds us of Sean Bell, the recent southern hurricanes, and the possibility of Barack Obama being assassinated. On the song’s final verse, however, Chamillionaire (maintaining his curse-free style) entertainingly makes it clear that he doesn’t like the police any more now than he did when he was Ridin’ Dirty. Though More Than Just a DJ currently has no set release date, underground mixtape buzz could give it a sturdy calendar spot.
Written by Burmy on 10/14/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Last Lyricists ft. Big Lou, Papoose & Busta Rhymes " (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.