“You know, that word ‘love’ is a very serious thing… if you don’t watch out, love will get you.” Having covered the carnal side of the romantic equation on the ass-shaking Oh My (and its equally bootylicious remix), DJ Drama turns his attention to the emotional baggage that all-too-often disrupts the harmonious union of man and
woman. On Never See You Again, Dawty Music layers delicate keyboard notes over a classic break (from Bob James’ cover of Paul Simon’s Take Me to the Mardi Gras, if you were wondering) as Maybach Music heavyweight Wale steps into the shoes of an emotionally-detached player, rationalizinging that his skills in the sack make up for his bad intentions toward a certain female (”Shawty don’t like me, shawty don’t like d*ck”). Needless to say, the woman in question feels a little different; on her guest verse and chorus, singer Talia Coles fills the DMV repper in on just how hurt she is by his uncaring attitude. Has this pop-appealing selection left you craving more? Then mark your calendars for the October 11, release of DJ Drama’s junior set, Third Power.
Written by richard on 09/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Takin Pictures" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.