In the past few months, we’ve shined the spotlight on quite a few upbeat cuts specially designed to help listeners forget their cares, but none have come with quite the feel-good appeal of this offering from DJ Deckstream. On his first Booth feature, the Japanese beatsmith teams up with Mos Def (whose fourth studio album, The Ecstatic, is set to hit stores this month) to communicate a simple, universally-appealing message: “Life Is Good – all the time.” Suggesting that we be thankful for what we have and pray for those who are suffering, Def treads some oft-covered lyrical ground, but with a difference: he spits with a sincere enthusiasm that makes the song fun, not preachy. Since this is a DJ record, you’d expect the production to shine, and Deckstream’s most definitely does, combining some head-bobbing percussion with jazzy piano chords and topping things off with a supremely catchy hook. Sound Tracks 2 hit the Land of the Rising Sun last week; there are currently no plans for release stateside, but, with the right buzz, anything could happen.
Written by richard on 02/16/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.