I hardly need to tell you this record’s an exclusive world premiere; DJ $crilla makes that crystal clear by personally shouting-out DJBooth.net not once but twice in its 3:41 running time. What I will say is that this record’s original as all get-out, and catchy to boot. Judging by the title, you’d expect I’m Hollywood to center around the subjects of cash and flash, which it does, but don’t get it confused—DeMarvelous Carter‘s playfully off-kilter boardwork and memorable chopped-and-screwed/chipmunk hook sets the tone for a unconventional celebration of the fast life, and $crilla and fellow Cleveland native Money Merchandise more than match the instrumental’s exuberance in their energetic verses. As if that’s not enough to ensure I’m Hollywood stays in your head for the next few days, the twosome even team up for a little line-trading midway through (which, if you tuned in for yesterday’s features, was also my favorite thing about U-N-I‘s Reach for the Sky). This cut can be found on $crilla’s yet-untitled sophomore album when it hits stores and online retailers sometime this fall.
Written by richard on 04/23/09
Submit your Rating
New Heights Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Digital" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.