I hardly need to tell you this record’s an exclusive world premiere; DJ $crilla makes that crystal clear by personally shouting-out DJBooth.net not once but twice in its 3:41 running time. What I will say is that this record’s original as all get-out, and catchy to boot. Judging by the title, you’d expect I’m Hollywood to center around the subjects of cash and flash, which it does, but don’t get it confused—DeMarvelous Carter‘s playfully off-kilter boardwork and memorable chopped-and-screwed/chipmunk hook sets the tone for a unconventional celebration of the fast life, and $crilla and fellow Cleveland native Money Merchandise more than match the instrumental’s exuberance in their energetic verses. As if that’s not enough to ensure I’m Hollywood stays in your head for the next few days, the twosome even team up for a little line-trading midway through (which, if you tuned in for yesterday’s features, was also my favorite thing about U-N-I‘s Reach for the Sky). This cut can be found on $crilla’s yet-untitled sophomore album when it hits stores and online retailers sometime this fall.
Written by richard on 04/23/09
Submit your Rating
New Heights Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Digital" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.