There are almost as many motivations for making music as there are artists; some are in it solely for the money, some are looking to express their deepest emotions, and some even seem to think a stirring pop tune can save the world (cough, delusions of grandeur, cough). Then there’s DJ Class, who just wants to make you Dance Like A Freak. It’s not hard to see why the Baltimore club chief and his crew are lobbying for Universal Republic to promote this cut as the follow-up to Alameda & Coldspring lead single I’m the Ish: fueled by jittery, stop-start percussion, staccato piano vamps, and abrupt sci-fi synth spurts, the beat is sure to get bodies moving, but it’s the light touch with which Class shifts between minimal and borderline-claustrophobic grooves that makes this a shining example of dancefloor-packing craftsmanship. Class’ vocals are Autotuned, and, frankly, not all that important—lyrical heads might want to wait for the inevitable star-studded remix, but if you can appreciate a freaky beat that stands on its own two feet, this just might be your jam. Alameda & Coldspring, Class’ debut album, is set to heat up dancefloors in the Charm City and beyond this fall.
Written by richard on 05/28/09
Submit your Rating
Universal Republic/ UnRuly Productions
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm The Ish (Remix) ft. Lil' Jon & Pitbull" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.