Pop quiz: who’s kicking that brand new Flava in Ya Ear? If you answered “Craig Mack,” congratulations, you are a true hip-hop scholar—but you’re incorrect. The Flavor that you’ll be enjoying today comes courtesy of Funk Volume signee Dizzy Wright, who takes inspiration from the ‘94 classic on the latest single off his forthcoming mixtape. 6ix‘s head-noddable percussion and plucked-string loops back the emcee at he lays into his competition, channeling a bit of Mack’s offbeat flow along the way. Labelmate SwizZz turns up the intensity in a brash, confrontational closing 16 (Standout line: “I ain’t tryin’ to make friends with all these rap n**gas / I’d rather get teabagged on top of cat litter!”) and Armen Soudjian directs the accompanying visuals. For Flavor and many more fresh cuts, check out Dizzy’s The Golden Age street album when it drops digitally next Monday, August 19.
Written by richard on 08/12/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly High" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.