Many of us still remember the anti-nuclear protest song 99 Red Balloons by German band Nena. Today, Dizzy Wright pens a new record that attaches another significant meaning to Red Balloons, unfortunately due to recent events. After three-year-old Ryan Saldana was killed by a truck in California, #RedBalloonsForRyan started to trend like mad on social media. But Dizzy also reminds us of the ongoing search for almost 300 schoolgirls who were kidnapped in Nigeria almost a month ago, which started the #BringBackOurGirls movement. So, with his own three-year-old daughter in arm, Dizzy does his best to comfort Jacqui and Dan Saldana as well as the hundreds of family members of those Nigerian girls. With a simple piano beat from DJ Hoppa, the Funk Volume emcee sings, raps, and does everything he can to express that he understands their grief and encourages everyone else to cherish everyday with those whom you love. We all pray that no artist will have to record a song like this again. Dizzy Wright’s last release, the State of Mind EP, can be streamed in-full here at The DJBooth.
Written by Bryan H on 05/9/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Fly High" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.