A certain group of friends call me Diz, so not only was I thrown off in ‘09 when I first heard about Diz Gibran but I also wasn’t confident that my namesake put out dope music. He had just put out his mixtape Soon You’ll Understand and I wasn’t particularly impressed. It wasn’t until his collab with CurT@!n$ that I really started to listen. But I’m not here to dwell on the past. Gibran’s latest leak, from his next project Just In Time For Always, is titled Slick, and his lyrical showmanship is just that. Not only does dude spit over a ?uestlove-esque drum rhythm and a loop reminiscent of Curren$y’s Michael Knight, courtesy of producer Moonshine, but there are also seductive female moans sprinkled throughout the track. His intro rhyme “Dedicated to live niggas and pretty women/ high-tippers, wine-sippers, city living” only seems right. The theme, rhyme schemes and cadence are all consistent with the title. I f**ks with it. It took two years, but it seems like I’m finally starting to understand. How about the rest of the Booth?
Written by Adeshola Adigun on 05/18/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.