A certain group of friends call me Diz, so not only was I thrown off in ‘09 when I first heard about Diz Gibran but I also wasn’t confident that my namesake put out dope music. He had just put out his mixtape Soon You’ll Understand and I wasn’t particularly impressed. It wasn’t until his collab with CurT@!n$ that I really started to listen. But I’m not here to dwell on the past. Gibran’s latest leak, from his next project Just In Time For Always, is titled Slick, and his lyrical showmanship is just that. Not only does dude spit over a ?uestlove-esque drum rhythm and a loop reminiscent of Curren$y’s Michael Knight, courtesy of producer Moonshine, but there are also seductive female moans sprinkled throughout the track. His intro rhyme “Dedicated to live niggas and pretty women/ high-tippers, wine-sippers, city living” only seems right. The theme, rhyme schemes and cadence are all consistent with the title. I f**ks with it. It took two years, but it seems like I’m finally starting to understand. How about the rest of the Booth?
Written by Adeshola Adigun on 05/18/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.