Though DJBooth newcomer Dillan Ponders hails from T-Dot, Ontario, his debut feature is dedicated to Gotham. Calling it a tribute to the Big Apple, however, might be a little bit of a stretch, as this joint focuses less on the sights and sounds of the city than the artist’s own caked-up, kush-hazed sexual adventures. ReSet Records rhymesayer T.City, another first-time featuree, assists on the guest tip. Behind the boards, HOLYDAY redefines the word “grimy,” serving up a dank, cavernous blend of samples (including a vocal snippet from 2011 comedy Goon) and dissonant synths. Has this left-of-center single piqued your interest? More fresh tunes are just a few clicks away; released May 16, Ponders’ Overdose street album is available now for free download via Bandcamp.
Written by richard on 06/3/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.