Now that he’s arrived, is Diggy Simmons here to stay? Roughly a month after the release of the his debut full-length, the question remains one of intense debate throughout the hip-hop blogosphere. As for the young rapper himself, he’s still basking in the rosy afterglow of getting his first project onto store shelves, and on new single Two Up he invites listeners to join him in a toast to his success. D’Mile mans the mixing boards on this exultant jam, garnishing a swaggering percussion rhythm with airy synth voices as Diggy takes a lyrical victory lap. In verses dripping with self-confidence, he declares his obliviousness to all forms of hate. As if to drive the point home, he goes on to toss his critics several clips’ worth of ammunition, comparing his LP to two of the most acclaimed debuts in hip-hop history and name-dropping his legendary pops in a single breath: “I’m Illmatic Nas, Reasonable Jay, My Adidas Run, that’s reasonable to say.” Is Diggy Simmons’ lofty self-assessment as reasonable as he believes? I’ll leave it to y’all to issue the final verdict. If you’re in his corner (and haven’t already copped the set), you can find plenty more bangers where Two Up came from on Unexpected Arrival, available in stores and online via Atlantic Records.
Written by richard on 04/9/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come to Rock (Freestyle)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.