As an ‘80s baby it was frankly shocking to see LOX alum Jadakiss on a track with teen phenomenon Diggy Simmons, but ten years ago who could have predicted that we’d someday be watching video on our phones of a black president? The times have changed, and 88 is a sign of the time. The new single from the younger Mr. Simmons recruits production crew Da Internz to shape a rhyme-ready beat that samples Dead Presidents II to head-nodding effect. From there Diggy continues to prove that he’s much more than just a case of hip-hop nepotism – the youngin’ can rhyme, and write some damn good lyrics too: “My uncle taught Diddy, Diddy turned around and taught Biggie / and Biggie taught Jigga, so imagine what he teachin me?” As for Jada, the man’s far too much of a veteran to come soft, laying down solid bars of his own that touch on his drug-pushing past and his rhyme-pushing present. Are you not entertained?!? For more from the fast-riser, fans can cop Diggy’s debut album Unexpected Arrival, very predictably arriving in stores on March 20.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come to Rock (Freestyle)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.