As an ‘80s baby it was frankly shocking to see LOX alum Jadakiss on a track with teen phenomenon Diggy Simmons, but ten years ago who could have predicted that we’d someday be watching video on our phones of a black president? The times have changed, and 88 is a sign of the time. The new single from the younger Mr. Simmons recruits production crew Da Internz to shape a rhyme-ready beat that samples Dead Presidents II to head-nodding effect. From there Diggy continues to prove that he’s much more than just a case of hip-hop nepotism – the youngin’ can rhyme, and write some damn good lyrics too: “My uncle taught Diddy, Diddy turned around and taught Biggie / and Biggie taught Jigga, so imagine what he teachin me?” As for Jada, the man’s far too much of a veteran to come soft, laying down solid bars of his own that touch on his drug-pushing past and his rhyme-pushing present. Are you not entertained?!? For more from the fast-riser, fans can cop Diggy’s debut album Unexpected Arrival, very predictably arriving in stores on March 20.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/23/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Come to Rock (Freestyle)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)