While screaming crowds and groupie love are sometimes part of the package—if you’re really, really lucky—pursuing an artistic vision is, at root, a solitary affair. Working alone, sleeping alone and, yes, Dining Alone are inevitably part of the grind. On single number two off his forthcoming full-length—the follow-up to last month’s braggadocious The Illest—Dice Raw gives listeners a window into the cloistered world of his hustle. Roots Crew affiliate Khari Mateen‘s ebbing and flowing synth production sets a mood of mounting intensity as the Philly rhymesayer gets into his zone: “It don’t take a genius to see that I’m all alone / Like a metronome right before the drums / But more like Jesse Owens right before he runs / Or like a rooster cock-a-doodle right before the sun.” While the past few years haven’t been easy for Dice Raw—on the middle, he reveals how his last relationship become a casualty of his relentless work schedule—his singlemindedness is sure to take him far in the music game. The Greatest Rapper Never: The Transformation has yet to receive a drop date, but those who like what they’re hearing can purchase this ambition-drenched single now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/21/12
Submit your Rating
Raw Life/Soulspazm Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Rising Down (Hum Drum) ft. Mos Def, Styles P & Dice Raw" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.