As those tuned into the DMV hip-hop scene (or the Booth) are well aware, Oddisee, X.O. and yU of The Diamond District most definitely Mean Business – if you need more convincing, simply take a look at the numerous rave reviews their late-‘90s boom-bap-inspired In the Ruff LP has already accumulated since its release this past October. On this official remix of the album’s second single, yU takes Oddisee’s place behind the boards; trading his partner’s gritty boardwork for a chopped-sample instrumental with an emphasis on swung percussion; he crafts a funkier but no less retro-appealing backdrop for the trio’s vivid, politically-conscious brand of street lyricism. Those who like what they’re hearing can find more of the Diamond District’s patented blend of on-point, positive-minded rhymes and banging throwback beats on In the Ruff (if you haven’t already purchased a copy), and fans should also be sure to check out the newly-released, instrumental version of the project.
Written by richard on 12/16/09
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who I Be" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.