As those tuned into the DMV hip-hop scene (or the Booth) are well aware, Oddisee, X.O. and yU of The Diamond District most definitely Mean Business – if you need more convincing, simply take a look at the numerous rave reviews their late-‘90s boom-bap-inspired In the Ruff LP has already accumulated since its release this past October. On this official remix of the album’s second single, yU takes Oddisee’s place behind the boards; trading his partner’s gritty boardwork for a chopped-sample instrumental with an emphasis on swung percussion; he crafts a funkier but no less retro-appealing backdrop for the trio’s vivid, politically-conscious brand of street lyricism. Those who like what they’re hearing can find more of the Diamond District’s patented blend of on-point, positive-minded rhymes and banging throwback beats on In the Ruff (if you haven’t already purchased a copy), and fans should also be sure to check out the newly-released, instrumental version of the project.
Written by richard on 12/16/09
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who I Be" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.