I don’t say this lightly, Booth readers, but it seems like the Gospel might be “goin’ mainstream.” What makes me think so? Well, in addition to 33 percent of human beings on Earth being Christian, and the fact that you can find Bibles in hotel nightstands the world over, an emerging group of hip-hop artists are proving that a faith in Jesus doesn’t preclude Popular musical appeal. A member of this movement along with San Diego crew theBREAX, UK newcomer Dewy Sinatra introduces his stereotype-busting style to Booth readers on this freshly-released mixtape single. Over Soopa Beats’ head-nodding piano production, sampled from hit Broadway musical Wicked, the UK-bred emcee echoes the sentiment ‘Ye expressed on his breakout hit: “See I can talk about sex and I can talk about money, but if I talk about Jesus people look at me funny.” Needless to say, he pays no mind to those giving him the side-eye, speaking loudly and proudly about his faith—and exhibiting a gift for engaging delivery in the process. Think this cut’s spiritual subject matter and catchy presentation are a winning combo? Then you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Dewy Sinatra’s debut mixtape, Hello Hi There, released July 22 and out now online.
Written by richard on 08/18/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.