I don’t say this lightly, Booth readers, but it seems like the Gospel might be “goin’ mainstream.” What makes me think so? Well, in addition to 33 percent of human beings on Earth being Christian, and the fact that you can find Bibles in hotel nightstands the world over, an emerging group of hip-hop artists are proving that a faith in Jesus doesn’t preclude Popular musical appeal. A member of this movement along with San Diego crew theBREAX, UK newcomer Dewy Sinatra introduces his stereotype-busting style to Booth readers on this freshly-released mixtape single. Over Soopa Beats’ head-nodding piano production, sampled from hit Broadway musical Wicked, the UK-bred emcee echoes the sentiment ‘Ye expressed on his breakout hit: “See I can talk about sex and I can talk about money, but if I talk about Jesus people look at me funny.” Needless to say, he pays no mind to those giving him the side-eye, speaking loudly and proudly about his faith—and exhibiting a gift for engaging delivery in the process. Think this cut’s spiritual subject matter and catchy presentation are a winning combo? Then you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Dewy Sinatra’s debut mixtape, Hello Hi There, released July 22 and out now online.
Written by richard on 08/18/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.