I don’t say this lightly, Booth readers, but it seems like the Gospel might be “goin’ mainstream.” What makes me think so? Well, in addition to 33 percent of human beings on Earth being Christian, and the fact that you can find Bibles in hotel nightstands the world over, an emerging group of hip-hop artists are proving that a faith in Jesus doesn’t preclude Popular musical appeal. A member of this movement along with San Diego crew theBREAX, UK newcomer Dewy Sinatra introduces his stereotype-busting style to Booth readers on this freshly-released mixtape single. Over Soopa Beats’ head-nodding piano production, sampled from hit Broadway musical Wicked, the UK-bred emcee echoes the sentiment ‘Ye expressed on his breakout hit: “See I can talk about sex and I can talk about money, but if I talk about Jesus people look at me funny.” Needless to say, he pays no mind to those giving him the side-eye, speaking loudly and proudly about his faith—and exhibiting a gift for engaging delivery in the process. Think this cut’s spiritual subject matter and catchy presentation are a winning combo? Then you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Dewy Sinatra’s debut mixtape, Hello Hi There, released July 22 and out now online.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.