I don’t say this lightly, Booth readers, but it seems like the Gospel might be “goin’ mainstream.” What makes me think so? Well, in addition to 33 percent of human beings on Earth being Christian, and the fact that you can find Bibles in hotel nightstands the world over, an emerging group of hip-hop artists are proving that a faith in Jesus doesn’t preclude Popular musical appeal. A member of this movement along with San Diego crew theBREAX, UK newcomer Dewy Sinatra introduces his stereotype-busting style to Booth readers on this freshly-released mixtape single. Over Soopa Beats’ head-nodding piano production, sampled from hit Broadway musical Wicked, the UK-bred emcee echoes the sentiment ‘Ye expressed on his breakout hit: “See I can talk about sex and I can talk about money, but if I talk about Jesus people look at me funny.” Needless to say, he pays no mind to those giving him the side-eye, speaking loudly and proudly about his faith—and exhibiting a gift for engaging delivery in the process. Think this cut’s spiritual subject matter and catchy presentation are a winning combo? Then you’ll undoubtedly find more to like on Dewy Sinatra’s debut mixtape, Hello Hi There, released July 22 and out now online.
Written by richard on 08/18/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)