Whether you see contemporary hip-hop as building on the genre’s foundations or straying from its roots, the occasional look backward can provide a refreshing counterbalance to current trends. With his forthcoming EP, Lexington, Kentucky rhymesayer Devine Carama has set out to bring a little of that old-school positivity into the modern day. On newly-released lead single Stars, DJ Well Blended flips a plaintive soul sample as the Golden Era Flow emcee harks back to a time, “[when] the bars had a message / and one verse could shine light like God when he present.” Digging this cut’s uplifting throwback style? Then you’re sure to find more to your liking on No Child Left Behind, scheduled to drop digitally sometime this summer.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sparkling Jewels" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.