Whether you see contemporary hip-hop as building on the genre’s foundations or straying from its roots, the occasional look backward can provide a refreshing counterbalance to current trends. With his forthcoming EP, Lexington, Kentucky rhymesayer Devine Carama has set out to bring a little of that old-school positivity into the modern day. On newly-released lead single Stars, DJ Well Blended flips a plaintive soul sample as the Golden Era Flow emcee harks back to a time, “[when] the bars had a message / and one verse could shine light like God when he present.” Digging this cut’s uplifting throwback style? Then you’re sure to find more to your liking on No Child Left Behind, scheduled to drop digitally sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 03/14/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sparkling Jewels" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)