Your average up-and-coming rapper might be able to claim a 60-70 percent realness level. Maybe 90, on a particularly hard-hitting record. For Booth newcomer Devin Miles, however, nothing less than perfection will do – in fact, the Pittsburgh native keeps it So Real that he makes his peers look like life-sized cardboard cutouts of Justin Bieber (apologies to fans of Justin Bieber… or cardboard). Anyway, readers who won’t take my word for it will find ample evidence on this newly-leaked EP bonus cut. Here, a gritty, chopped-sample groove by Big Jerm & ID Labs sets the stage for ambitious yet down-to-earth bars chronicling Miles’ day-to-day hustle: “Hopin’ I can balance between college and tours / I’m startin’ to eat a little but always starvin’ for more.” Joining the Steel City repper on the guest tip is a bona fide Booth fave; Cali mainstay (and freestyle series alum) Fashawn turns in a similarly uncompromising performance on the front, painting a gritty lyrical portrait of the poverty that plagues his home streets. Like what you’re hearing? More certifiably real bangers are coming right up on Devin Miles’ Finding My Own street album, set to hit the net soon.
Written by richard on 03/9/11
Fab 5 Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Cool" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.