Your average up-and-coming rapper might be able to claim a 60-70 percent realness level. Maybe 90, on a particularly hard-hitting record. For Booth newcomer Devin Miles, however, nothing less than perfection will do – in fact, the Pittsburgh native keeps it So Real that he makes his peers look like life-sized cardboard cutouts of Justin Bieber (apologies to fans of Justin Bieber… or cardboard). Anyway, readers who won’t take my word for it will find ample evidence on this newly-leaked EP bonus cut. Here, a gritty, chopped-sample groove by Big Jerm & ID Labs sets the stage for ambitious yet down-to-earth bars chronicling Miles’ day-to-day hustle: “Hopin’ I can balance between college and tours / I’m startin’ to eat a little but always starvin’ for more.” Joining the Steel City repper on the guest tip is a bona fide Booth fave; Cali mainstay (and freestyle series alum) Fashawn turns in a similarly uncompromising performance on the front, painting a gritty lyrical portrait of the poverty that plagues his home streets. Like what you’re hearing? More certifiably real bangers are coming right up on Devin Miles’ Finding My Own street album, set to hit the net soon.
Written by richard on 03/9/11
Submit your Rating
Fab 5 Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Cool" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Obsessively Breaking Down the Demo Version of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)