As of 2008, there were an estimated 846,000 black men in American prisons. If current trends are allowed to continue, a full 30% of that demographic will spend some portion of their life behind bars. But it’s impossible to gauge the full effects of what author Michelle Williams terms “The New Jim Crow” until you factor in the emotional and often material hardship experienced by parents, siblings, spouses, children and friends of the incarcerated. On Heavy Rain, the latest single off his forthcoming album, Denzil Porter offers a firsthand account of the pain, describing the stories of his brother, Donald, and two childhood friends named Stephen and Sunny were locked up without due process for trumped-up, unfair or even entirely false charges. Christopher “Claws” Stevens provides understated boardwork to back the Bronx representative’s bars. Fans will be able to find this powerful cut, the previously-featured Whole Lotta O’s and much more on Porter’s Pot, scheduled for release in November.
Written by richard on 10/9/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.