One of Southern California’s most underrated hip-hop collectives is the Likwit Crew; formed by King Tee, the crew introduced listeners to the likes of Xzibit, Tha Alkaholiks, and J. Wells, and worked closely with Strong Arm Steady, Dilated Peoples, and even household names Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. Another rapper to come up under the Likwit banner is Defari, who makes his Booth debut with the first single off his forthcoming senior album, Work Hard, Play Harder. With a musical career stretching back to ‘82 (long before the West Coast gave birth to gangsta rap) the L.A. native is making sure he gets his due respect; though he doesn’t ask too much, he would appreciate it if all the listeners at least Show Some Luv when he comes through. Defari’s mastery of the Left Coast style is evident in every facet of this cut, from the rapper’s rhyme scheme to his beat selection—here, DJ Khalil serves up some Dre-style piano loops. SoCal natives will be all over Show Some Luv, but can Defari help kick-start a West Coast renaissance? Find out when Work Hard, Play Harder arrives in stores (it currently has no set release date).
Listen to More: Defari
Written by Burmy on 04/20/09
Herut Music/ABB Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Aces High" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.