With late September’s Child’s Play ?eƒS?und abandoned his previous features’ alt-R&B trimmings to put his eccentric rhyme style front-and-center. If you dug that freewheeling punchline-fest, well, it’s your lucky day—street album standout Dance.In.OUR.Minds. finds the L.A. representative once again on his instrumentally minimal, free-associative ish. An ambient, reverb-drenched percussion groove borrowed from James Blake sets the mood as ?eƒ invites us to “Say no to no” in deadpan verses. Lyrically, he mostly keeps it witty and pop referential (dig the Joey Lawrence name-drop), occasionally approaching the shaggy-dog wordplay of fellow rap eccentrics Das Racist: “The James Blake of mixtapes / Now I don’t know what that means / But n*gga I’m like nine things at nine times / but times that bout five times / round that up to 19 / loss of mind, don’t mind me / Nobody on my timeline can find me.” So, readers, is this joint “so mm-hm, [you] can’t say no”? More is on its way; watch for ?eƒS?und’s oooooooh!Thee.Mixtape. to arrive on the artist’s Bandcamp page tomorrow, October 13.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.