With late September’s Child’s Play ?eƒS?und abandoned his previous features’ alt-R&B trimmings to put his eccentric rhyme style front-and-center. If you dug that freewheeling punchline-fest, well, it’s your lucky day—street album standout Dance.In.OUR.Minds. finds the L.A. representative once again on his instrumentally minimal, free-associative ish. An ambient, reverb-drenched percussion groove borrowed from James Blake sets the mood as ?eƒ invites us to “Say no to no” in deadpan verses. Lyrically, he mostly keeps it witty and pop referential (dig the Joey Lawrence name-drop), occasionally approaching the shaggy-dog wordplay of fellow rap eccentrics Das Racist: “The James Blake of mixtapes / Now I don’t know what that means / But n*gga I’m like nine things at nine times / but times that bout five times / round that up to 19 / loss of mind, don’t mind me / Nobody on my timeline can find me.” So, readers, is this joint “so mm-hm, [you] can’t say no”? More is on its way; watch for ?eƒS?und’s oooooooh!Thee.Mixtape. to arrive on the artist’s Bandcamp page tomorrow, October 13.
Written by richard on 10/12/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.