In the brutally-competitive music game, it’s not unusual for an up-and-comer to spend years hoping and praying before finally getting a shot at greatness (that’s if he or she doesn’t give up first). Dee-1, for one, isn’t taking any chances; on his latest mixtape leak, the New Orleans representative (and Best of the Booth award-winner) straight-up informs the powers that be that “It’s My Turn.” Rockaway Productions handles production duties, cooking up a sparse, organ-driven beat (complete with a hook sampled from Diana Ross’ joint of the same title) as Dee demonstrates exactly why heads need to reserve a seat on his bandwagon before it’s fully booked. Among other lofty boasts, the emcee claims: “If 2Pac and Lauryn Hill were married, I’d be their son” Think Dee-1’s got the skills to live up to that noble lineage? Those leaning towards the affirmative will undoubtedly enjoy what the artist’s got lined up for his Booth-sponsored I Hope They Hear Me (Volume 2) street album, set to hit our mixtape page on March 1.
Written by richard on 02/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jay, 50 and Weezy" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.