In the brutally-competitive music game, it’s not unusual for an up-and-comer to spend years hoping and praying before finally getting a shot at greatness (that’s if he or she doesn’t give up first). Dee-1, for one, isn’t taking any chances; on his latest mixtape leak, the New Orleans representative (and Best of the Booth award-winner) straight-up informs the powers that be that “It’s My Turn.” Rockaway Productions handles production duties, cooking up a sparse, organ-driven beat (complete with a hook sampled from Diana Ross’ joint of the same title) as Dee demonstrates exactly why heads need to reserve a seat on his bandwagon before it’s fully booked. Among other lofty boasts, the emcee claims: “If 2Pac and Lauryn Hill were married, I’d be their son” Think Dee-1’s got the skills to live up to that noble lineage? Those leaning towards the affirmative will undoubtedly enjoy what the artist’s got lined up for his Booth-sponsored I Hope They Hear Me (Volume 2) street album, set to hit our mixtape page on March 1.
Written by richard on 02/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jay, 50 and Weezy" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.