From the recently released and Booth-acclaimed mixtape I Hope They Hear Me (Vol. 2), Dee-1’s The One That Got Away is a playful ode to the absolute worst kind of missed opportunity. Producer Mannie Fresh provides a smooth flip of Carl Thomas I Wish as the New Orleans representative shares his story about “the one”. Over Thomas’ timeless piano stabs, Dee employs his story-telling flow as he watches his now-engaged girl and wonders what could have been: “I know what I know and I know she still love me / Even with that ring and that soon to be hubby.” Dee’s lighthearted swag coupled with the never-serious Mannie Fresh ad-libbing in the background make this a fun track to listen to—or unbearable depending on how you feel about Mannie Fresh. As mentioned, the Booth is loving IHTHM Vol. 2 so if you enjoyed this breezy record you might wanna cop his whole project and keep it locked for more from Dee, including an upcoming exclusive DJBooth freestyle.
Written by CourtlandHH on 04/13/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jay, 50 and Weezy" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.