From the recently released and Booth-acclaimed mixtape I Hope They Hear Me (Vol. 2), Dee-1’s The One That Got Away is a playful ode to the absolute worst kind of missed opportunity. Producer Mannie Fresh provides a smooth flip of Carl Thomas I Wish as the New Orleans representative shares his story about “the one”. Over Thomas’ timeless piano stabs, Dee employs his story-telling flow as he watches his now-engaged girl and wonders what could have been: “I know what I know and I know she still love me / Even with that ring and that soon to be hubby.” Dee’s lighthearted swag coupled with the never-serious Mannie Fresh ad-libbing in the background make this a fun track to listen to—or unbearable depending on how you feel about Mannie Fresh. As mentioned, the Booth is loving IHTHM Vol. 2 so if you enjoyed this breezy record you might wanna cop his whole project and keep it locked for more from Dee, including an upcoming exclusive DJBooth freestyle.
Written by CourtlandHH on 04/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jay, 50 and Weezy" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.