Dee-1‘s last feature (a Killer Mike-assisted remix of a previously-featured single) found him highlighting the trait that separates him from his less ambitious peers: whereas other need a break from the hustle on occasion, the New Orleans rhymesayer is, “never clockin’ out.” That single-minded dedication to his work, however, means that he can never put his artistic passion aside in order to pursue a woman. On Pause the Music, premiered yesterday via Prefix, he revisits a romantic opportunity in order to chase after rap stardom, flowing over Flight School‘s pensive, descending piano chords and chopped vocal samples. Playing the woman who could could have been his, singer Alaina pleads with him to take a break from his grind on her guest chorus. This poignant jam is set for inclusion on Dee’s Mannie Fresh-hosted #TheFocusTape, scheduled for release October 9, and fans should keep it locked for details on the artist’s forthcoming, 50-city national tour with Macklemore.
Written by richard on 09/28/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Jay, 50 and Weezy" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.